What Types of Conditions Do You Work With?
- Diabetes, high blood pressure, and cardiovascular disease.
- Anxiety, ADHD, depression or just feeling “blah.” In some cases, even bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.
- Irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s, colitis, acid reflux (GERD), celiac disease and gluten intolerance.
- Allergies and susceptibility to colds/infections, including yeast or bacterial infections such as candidiasis, UTIs, or vaginosis.
- Autoimmune disorders (celiac disease, Hashimoto’s, type 1 diabetes, lupus erythematosus, etc.)
- This is just the tip of the iceberg. Contact me if you want to discuss my approaches to these or other conditions.
Should I Work with You?
Yes, if you …
- Have a hunch that you’re being “medically underserved.”
- Have persistently experienced “chronic treatment failure.”
- Know you could be doing better with your diet, your weight, or your day-to-day routine that would accelerate your progress or enhance your overall well-being.
- Are curious about what “root-cause” (functional) medicine is all about.
- Are committed to doing everything you can as naturally and as effectively as possible to achieve optimal health.
Should I NOT Work with You?
You should probably not work with me if you ...
- Think holistic approaches to health are “voodoo” or quackery.
- Believe what you want to believe, even though peer-reviewed scientific evidence may show otherwise.
- Don't truly want to change and know you won't be coachable.
- Think this is a cheap, easy, or quick solution to your long-term health goals. (Occasionally symptoms and ailments can be remedied quickly, but this is often not the case.)
- Are not financially in a position to commit reasonable resources to get better and feel “back to yourself” again. It may take a few grand. Testing and pharmaceuticals that we can get prescribed by a doctor can be run through insurance, but neither my work nor supplements can. (Sorry — preventative and functional medicine just is not usually the "standard of care.")
- Are more concerned about insurance reimbursements than restoring your health (because we don’t take insurance … and never will). Sorry. (Some tests that we will ask your doctor to order, though, may be reimbursable.)
What Can I Expect if I Work with You?
- You will have several hours to tell me your complete medical history — going as far back as your direct ancestors if you can.
- I will teach you how the body works in as much detail as you want — specifically what’s likely happening in your body and how we can tweak things to get results.
- You will need to commit to certain changes in your life, many of which can happen gradually. (The faster you make them, though, the faster you may see results.)
- Finally, you will always be respected as an individual, related to on the basis of your commitments. Mistakes, whether intentional or not, are regarded as learning experiences.
What Are Your Limitations?
I'm not a doctor, so I can't diagnose, cure, prevent or treat any disease. That's just not within my purview, and even if it were, I wouldn't have access to the approaches that are most likely to help you. Simply put, what I do is help to overcome the various imbalances in your body. All physicians treat disease, but mostly by managing symptoms. I help to get at the root cause of dysfunction and help the body get back to a more healthy balance.
Why Are You So Hard on Doctors and Drugs?
Of course many conditions — and especially acute care needs — require the expertise of doctors. Pharmaceuticals are critical to the management of disease in many instances. I personally have one prescription that helps to balance myself hormonally. But lots of drugs do harm — particularly if used routinely. On the other hand, you might be surprised at how many conditions people rely on drugs for can actually be addressed by modifications to diet, natural supplements, adequate sleep, stress management, and exercise.
How Might We Work Together?
- Fee schedule is hourly, bulk purchase of hours, monthly installments of a 1-year contract, or pre-paid services for a year.
- Long-term clients get favored discount status on many vitamins and supplements (yes, nearly all of us need them!).
- I travel to a mutually convenient place to meet you. Or I can Skype or call.
- Plan on 2 to 4 hours of meetings the first month or so for chronic conditions, plus an hour or two filling out a few forms at your leisure. (Yes, this takes time.) Simpler conditions could halve this commitment.
- I source high-quality vitamins, supplements, etc. In some cases, a regular store brand might be fine, but in most cases, not. Sometimes I order the supplements for you; sometimes you order them yourselves. Buying crappy supplements is bad ju-ju.
- As someone who knows what it takes: I honor and respect you for taking on your health. We typically get results if you are patient. When the body is not working optimally, both physical and mental problems can surface. YOU ARE NOT YOUR SYMPTOMS, YOUR DISEASE, OR YOUR DIAGNOSIS. You are worthy of being listened to and respected. And I usually get the same in return, because things kinda work that way.
What Should My First Steps Be?
Check out the Contact page to be in touch. I currently do not charge for an initial consultation.